If you have dry mouth in Royal Oak, you’re likely experiencing bad breath, difficulty chewing food, and other unpleasant symptoms. That’s bad enough. However, dry mouth can also lead to tooth decay if left untreated, since saliva helps rid your mouth of food particles and bacteria.Maintain the health of your teeth Read Transcript
Dry mouth can become a very serious dental condition. People don't realize how serious it is. A lot of times dry mouth is caused from some medications you're taking. We need to find out exactly what's causing that dry mouth so we can find a solution for it. The reason why it's so important is because the saliva in your mouth buffers the acidity in the mouth, which causes cavities. So, if you have a dry mouth, you're much more likely to have cavities in your mouth and even gum disease. So, it's very important to get that treated and to find solutions for it so that you can maintain the health of your teeth.
Fortunately, the staff at North Oaks Dental is ready to help you eliminate your dry mouth symptoms. We’ll make your mouth feel better and get you smiling again!
Since many cases of dry mouth are different, we offer several treatment options, including:
- A special mouthwash or rinse to lubricate your mouth and ease dry mouth symptoms
- Prescription medication to stimulate saliva production and make your mouth feel comfortable again
- Custom fluoride trays to wear at night to help prevent tooth decay and further dental problems
We’ll develop a customized treatment plan for you. We may also need to see you more often for dental cleanings and exams to stay ahead of decay and other consequences of dry mouth. Call 248-220-7021 to schedule an appointment and get relief!
Have you already consulted another dentist about this problem? Second opinions are free at our Royal Oak office.
We’ll Protect Your Oral Health No Matter the Cause of Your Dry Mouth
Our team will take steps to determine the cause of your dry mouth. We’ll thoroughly examine your mouth, and we may ask you a few medical questions. Dry mouth symptoms can have a number of causes, including:
- Medications – Over 400 prescription medications have the side effect of drying out your mouth. Some of the most common include antihistamines, decongestants, antidepressants, and muscle relaxants.
- Radiation Treatment – Radiation treatment for oral cancer can damage the salivary gland, leaving it unable to produce enough saliva to keep your mouth lubricated.
- Medical Conditions – Diabetes, Parkinson’s disease, rheumatoid arthritis, and stroke are some of the main culprits.
- Tobacco Use – Smoking and tobacco use can slow down saliva production and leave your mouth dry.
If you’ve been suffering from a dry mouth in Royal Oak, now is the time to do something about it. Call North Oaks Dental today at 248-220-7021 and get rid of these negative effects! You can also make an appointment .