Numerous studies have shown that an aesthetically-pleasing smile makes a major difference in your self-confidence. With a good-looking smile, you will smile more, leading to lower stress and improved cognitive ability. But having a nice-looking smile is about a lot more than just your self-confidence. Keep reading to see what we mean, and then give us a call at 248-220-7021 to your consultation with Dr. Daboul in Royal Oak, MI.
Problems Caused by Crooked Teeth
Having crooked or crowded teeth puts you at a higher risk for any of the following problems:
- Gum disease
- Gum disease occurs when bacteria in your mouth form into plaque. Crooked teeth make it easier for plaque to form and harder for you to clean it away.
- Difficult to clean
- The bristles of your toothbrush, as well as dental floss, have a harder time reaching the nooks and crannies between your teeth when they are crooked. This can lead to an overgrowth of bacteria and several oral health problems.
- Tooth wear
- When your teeth are crowded or crooked, especially your bottom teeth, it can cause one or more teeth to protrude. This causes your lower teeth to rub up against your upper teeth, leading to undue wear of your tooth enamel over time.
- Increased risk of tooth injuries
- In the event of an accident, protruding teeth are more likely to chip or crack than teeth that are properly aligned.
- Chewing difficulties
- Crooked or crowded teeth can also make it harder to chew because of improper jaw alignment.
- Bad breath
- Because crooked teeth are harder to clean, odors from certain foods as well as mouth bacteria can linger longer than usual, causing stubborn bad breath.
- Overall health issues
- Oral health issues caused by a buildup of bacteria can lead to more serious health problems like heart disease, diabetes, stroke, and pneumonia.
Solutions for Crooked Teeth
If you are ready to say goodbye to your crooked smile and the various issues that go along with it, consider one of the following orthodontic treatment options available at North Oaks Dental:
- Invisalign is an orthodontic solution that uses clear plastic aligners to gently and gradually realign and straighten your teeth. The aligners are removable and should be taken out when you eat, drink, or clean your teeth. Otherwise, they are worn for at least 22 hours every day.
- Traditional metal braces are a great solution for those who want a straighter smile. While not as discreet as Invisalign, braces can make a dramatic difference in the appearance as well as the health of your teeth.
We Can Help! Call North Oaks Dental Today
There is nothing we enjoy more than seeing our patients thriving with the help of the various treatments, including braces and clear aligners, at our disposal. At North Oaks Dental, we regularly help patients fix and enhance their smiles so that they not only feel more confident but also lower their risk of developing oral health problems.
To see how we can help you, call our Royal Oak office today at 248-220-7021. One of our friendly and experienced team members will be more than happy to answer any questions you may have. We will help you an appointment ASAP so you can see just how much of a difference we can make for your teeth.