This fall, our Royal Oak MI dentist’s office is encouraging patients from all over the area to take back their smiles, and put their fear of the dentist behind them for good! That’s why today we want to explore a dangerous condition known as dental anxiety, and many of the solutions we can provide to work through it the easy way. Keep reading, and then be sure to give us a call at 248-220-7021 to request your next appointment at North Oaks Dental.
A New Age
We have found that many people are afraid of the dentist primarily because of past experiences that did not go so well. Others have turned out to have a fear of needles and drills or simply can’t sit still long enough to get comfortable in the chair.
The thing to keep in mind with us is that the previous eras of dentistry exist only in the past. No longer are patients expected to grit and bear it in the dental chair. We want you to be relaxed and comfortable all the way through your procedure. At North Oaks Dental, we’re helping relieving dental anxiety with state-of-the-art tools and highly-trained compassionate staff. Plus, our dental office is equipped with comfortable amenities such as blankets and private operatives to give a better dental experience. We’ll also take our time to explain any treatments you are considering.
The Facts About Dental Anxiety
Here are a few details that are helpful when confronting your fears:
- One of the main ways to treat dental anxiety is with dental sedation.
- There are three different types of dental sedation (nitrous oxide, oral conscious sedation, and IV sedation). Nitrous oxide is the most common form of sedation. Patients love it because it’s available at the dental chair and wears off quickly after your treatment.
- IV sedation is the heaviest form of sedation, and it’s often used to help patients who are extremely fearful or those who need extensive dental work.
- Only about 40 percent of dentists across the country offer sedation dentistry, so if you need it, you can’t count on every dental office to have it.
- About 20 percent of American have some level of dental anxiety, and about 5 percent of that population avoid the dentist at all costs. That’s a major problem considering everyone needs a dentist eventually.
The Risks Of Avoiding The Dentist
You might think that you are taking the easy way out by avoiding us, but you’ll only be making it harder on yourself in the end. You see, we schedule cleanings and exams six months apart so we can closey monitor your teeth and gums for any unwelcome changes. If you let gum disease or cavities go untreated, these things can be painful and costly to clean up later. Don’t do that! We can help!
Call For Your Appointment
We hope you have been encouraged to take the next step toward overcoming your fear of the dentist. Our staff will make you feel comfortable and at home during your first visit. Call North Oaks Dental in Royal Oak, MI today at 248-220-7021 or to schedule your easy appointment with our team.